Waring Street Hotel

Hotel development
Including Food & Beverage use

9-13 Waring Street, BT1 2DX

About Waring Street Hotel

9-13 Waring Street (the War Memorial Building) is a five storey B2 Listed Building (HB Ref No: HB26/50/259) constructed in 1959 -1962 and was designed by English architect J Michael Bowley. The building was opened by the Queen Mother in 1963 and initially provided offices for charities and organisations linked to the Armed Forces. The building was formerly the Queen Anne Hotel, but it was blown up during the Belfast Blitz in 1941.


In 2006 the Council of the Northern Ireland War Memorial found it necessary to relocate from their existing offices and exhibition space in Waring Street to a newly completed building in Talbot Street, in Belfast’s Cathedral Quarter. In 2007, the Council of the Northern Ireland War Memoria sold the War Memorial Building to Killultagh Estates.


In 2015, the War Memorial Building went on the market for £850,000 and was later sold for sold for £1.1m to Kremlin Associates Limited in October 2015.


In November 2015, Kremlin Associates Limited submitted a planning application (LA04/2015/1451/F) proposing change of use from Office and Museum to 63 bedroom Hotel with associated Conference, Leisure and Ancillary Facilities. This application was approved in March 2016.


In 2016, the building was acquired by Chanro Investments Ltd.


In January 2017, Chanro Investments Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2017/0171/F) proposing change of use from offices to a 37 bedroom hotel with associated restaurant, bar and ancillary facilities including new rooftop terrace. This application was approved in July 2017.


In September 2017, Signature Living Group acquired the the War Memorial Building on Waring Street with the intention of developing what would be their third hotel in Belfast.


In June 2018, Signature Living submitted a planning application (LA04/2018/1493/F) proposing alterations and extensions to the existing building to create a Hotel with ancillary Bar/Restaurant and roof top terraces. This application was approved in October 2020.


In September 2019, Colliers placed the War Memorial Building on the market with Co Down firm Wirefox later placing a £3.7 million offer on the site.


In October 2021, the site was acquired by Finch.


In August 2022, SOM Properties No 5 NI Ltd submitted a planning application (LA04/2022/1694/F) proposing change of use from museum & vacant office building to a 120 bedroom hotel including a 6 storey extension and single storey roof top extension with bar/restaurant use and covered roof top terrace. The proposals also include the possible reopening of Sugarhouse Lane, which is located at the west boundary of the site.

Project Information

Units

120

Floors

6

Planning References

Project Team

Loading

More Projects