16-24 Cornmarket

Retail development
Including Office use

16-24 Cornmarket, BT1 4DD

About 16-24 Cornmarket

16-24 Cornmarket is a four storey building with a site area of 0.0241 hectares and was previously derelict. There is currently a new development under construction on the site.

The earliest deeds for both 16 Cornmarket and 18-24 Cornmarket are dated 1898. On 7 December 1914, the Imperial Picture House opened on the site with a showing of Little Lord Fauntleroy. The interior was fitted out in high quality, artistic style, and an ‘old English’ tea-room existed. The Imperial Picture House was closed on 28th November 1959 with a showing of Lonely Hearts. The owner George Lodge thanked the audience at the last show and invited them to take away souvenirs of the old cinema. The Imperial Picture House was later demolished.

In 1960, a new building was erected for retail use - initially housing handbag merchants Sterlings for around two decades.

In December 2018, the building was sold for around £2million after being vacant since the closure of retailer Priceless Shoes in 2009, when the company went into administration.

In August 2019, Castle Square Limited submitted a planning application (LA04/2019/2110/F) proposing to demolish the existing two storey building and construction of 4 storey extension to accommodate retail and office uses and replacement of front facade of existing 4 storey building & change of use of 2nd/3rd floor to offices. The application was approved in October 2020 with construction beginning in 2021.

In November 2022, the development of 16-24 Cornmarket was completed.

In February 2022, Michael Johnson of Jamaica Blue Limited submitted a planning application (LA04/2023/2762/F) proposing the change of use of a retail unit on the ground and first floor from retail to a Jamaica Blue coffee shop.

Jamaica Blue Coffee opened on the ground floor in July 2023.

Project Information

Start Date

January 2021

Completion Date

November 2022



Planning References

Project Team


More Projects