16 May Street

Residential development

16 May Street, BT1 4NL

About 16 May Street

16 May Street is a B2 listed, three-storey townhouse made of red brick, dating back to approximately 1855. It first appeared on the second edition of the Ordnance Survey maps for Belfast in 1858.

The house features red Flemish bond brickwork, though the ground floor seems to have been rebuilt with newer brick. It includes rusticated stucco quoins at the east corner, a stucco eaves fascia, a string course at the first-floor sill, and a plinth beneath the ground floor sill.

Upon completion, 16 May Street was valued at £38 in Griffith’s Valuation of 1859. The valuer noted that the property included a stable block at the rear and was leased by Sir Edward May.

In the late 20th century, the building served as office space for the Girls' Brigade, which was managed from the adjacent Boys' Brigade Headquarters at No. 14 May Street. In 2007, Girls' Brigade NI Headquarters relocated from their premises in May Street, Belfast to Kilbegs Business Park, Antrim. Although the organization has since moved out, a sign above the entrance still reads ‘Girls Brigade.’

The building is in fair condition but remains vacant. Vegetation is growing in the gutters, and the window frames need maintenance.

16 May Street has been subject to a number of planning applications, such as:

In August 1999, The Girls Brigade submitted a planning application (Z/1999/2722) proposing demolition of existing rear extensions, construction of new 3 storey rear extension and relocation of shop entrance. This application was approved in December 1999.

The Girls Brigade also submitted another application (Z/1999/2723) seeking listed building consent in August 1999 proposing demolition and rebuilding of rear extension plus alterations to main building. This application was also approved in December 1999.

In April 2009, Mr Alan Crowe submitted a planning application (Z/2009/0600/F) proposing demolition of existing three storey rear return and two storey rear mews building. It also proposed refurbishment, alteration and extension to existing Category B1 listed office building and erection of rear extension with frontage onto Music Hall Lane (amended scheme). This application was approved in August 2010. Mr Alan Crowe also submitted a planning application (Z/2009/0598/LB) seeking listed building consent related to this application which was also approved in August 2010.

In May 2024, Killultagh NI submitted a planning application (LA04/2024/0941/LBC) proposing change of use from former Girls Brigade HQ into six residential units, offering options for short-term, long-term, and permanent accommodation. Additionally, a new three-storey accommodation block will be constructed at the rear, featuring undercroft parking, ancillary bin and bike storage, and open amenity space.

Project Information

Units

6

Floors

3

Planning References

Project Team

Loading

More Projects